Pet allergies are very common and can be irritating and painful for your pet. Sometimes, allergy seasons make pets develop allergic reactions, but there are measures you can take to minimize and avoid allergies in your pet. At Oak Grove Veterinary Hospital in San Jose, CA, our skilled team can treat and prevent allergies in your pets. Our goal is to help your pets live long, healthy lives.
Treating Pet Allergies
Pets can suffer from environmental allergies, food allergies, flea allergies, and more. They can cause a range of symptoms, like itchy skin, red eyes, sneezing, or runny nose.
Allergies can be treated using immunotherapy or allergy shots and medication. Our veterinarian will perform a physical exam of your pet and run diagnostic tests to determine your pet’s condition. Then, we can provide the right treatment. If your pet has skin problems from allergies, we can provide medicated shampoo or topical medicine. We may also give your pet oral medication.
To avoid going through the agony of treating allergies, we advise pet owners to take precautionary measures and protect their pets against allergies.
How to Prevent Pet Allergies
- Always keep your house clean. Keep all carpets, bedding, and floors clean to wash away any allergens that might have settled in. Keep your pets clean by brushing them daily and washing them regularly using pet shampoos.
- Use Highly Efficient Particulate Absorbing (HEPA) cleaners. Ensure you get vacuum cleaners that have air filters.
- Feed your pet a well-balanced diet that includes natural fats, as this adds moisture to its skin, resulting in a healthier coat.
- Always dispose of litter daily and clean the cans with detergents. Make sure the litter can area is always clean.
- Take your pets for checkups to our veterinarian regularly. Our experts can detect any signs of allergies at an early stage. This will help protect your pets from severe allergic reactions.
- Monitor your pet while they are outside. The spring season brings pollen and other allergens. If our vet identifies an allergen in your pet, we can tell you how to best avoid it.
- Provide your pet with preventative care for fleas.
Our veterinary team can provide you with other preventative measures for your pet’s specific allergies.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Vet
If you suspect that your pet is suffering from allergies, we can help. At Oak Grove Veterinary Hospital in San Jose, CA, our veterinarian can diagnose and treat allergies in your pet. We will also guide you on preventative measures for allergies. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us today.